The Surgeon General's Call To Action To Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity
This Call To Action is for all who can have an impact on overweight and obesity in the United States to take action to create a future where:
- It is widely recognized that overweight and obesity can reduce the length and quality of life.
- The etiology of this complex problem of overweight and obesity is better understood.
- Effective and practical prevention and treatment are widely available and integrated in health care systems.
- Environments have been modified to promote healthy eating and increased physical activity.
- Disparities in overweight and obesity prevalence based on race and ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, and age are eliminated.
- The health consequences of overweight and obesity are reduced.
- The social stigmatism associated with overweight and obesity is eradicated.
This vision should be approached vigorously and optimistically but with patience. There is no simple or quick answer to this multifaceted challenge. This Surgeon General’s Call To Action To Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity calls upon individuals, families, communities, schools, worksites, organizations, government, and the media to work together to build solutions that will bring better health to everyone in this country. Working together, we can make this vision become a reality.
Last revised: January 11, 2007